Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pernell Roberts, 81


I've been watching M*A*S*H since I was in utero. Seriously. I, like many others, have probably watched every episode made like 10 times. I firmly believe that I understand the complexity of the characters and because of that I stand by the fact that the Henry Blake years were the best and that was mainly because of the Wayne Rogers and his IN-credible performance of Trapper John (B.J. blows).
The sad thing is as much as love Trapper I never knew until a couple of years ago that Trapper John M.D. was kind of a M*A*S*H spin off. I know it seems pretty obvious... how many people are named Trapper... let alone the Trapper John.
Anyway... the actor that played Trapper John M.D., Pernell Roberts, was a real life Koren War Vet. I'm not sure if any of that experienced crossed over into the hospital melodrama but it couldn't have hurt, right.
Mr. Roberts started his acting career onstage in the 50's, graduating to movies in 1958 and then easing into the role of Adam Cartwright on the long running series Bonanza. In addition to acting he was also a the captain for "Battle of The Network Stars" for a couple of seasons as well as a civil rights activist and marched with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in Selma, Alabama in 1965.
The actor was married four times and had one son (who was killed in motorcycle accident in 1989).
He passed away on January 24th after battling pancreatic cancer in his home in Malibu, his fourth wife Eleanor was by his side.


May 18, 1928 - January 24, 2010
R.I.P.




Sources:
Stupid Celebrity Gossip
Wikipedia
NY Daily News

Labels: , , , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates