Thursday, November 02, 2006

Sandy West, 47

I’ve always idolized strong powerful women. I hated that whole damsel in distress scenario…it just pissed me off to think that men were the only one that could save the world – Thbbbt! I think this has something to do with my upbringing. I always watched my mom take care of pretty much everything around the house while my dad sat in the basement and played with his toys and to some extent my Grandma who took care of a house & three kids while, and cooked, and cleaned, and washed my Grandpa’s back. Some people might find those two examples as women being subservient to men but in my little world it just meant that men couldn’t do a damn thing by themselves and women were pretty much in power. So as I wrote earlier…I’m drawn to strong powerful women. My favorite shows when I was a kid were The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, Nancy Drew, Pinky & Leather Tuscadero…later on I was drawn to Suzi Quatro (who was doing double time I my list), Joan Jett, Lita Ford and obviously the Runaways.

I wasn’t too familiar with Sandy West…I kinda backed into The Runaways. She along with Joan, Lita & Cherie Currie were pioneers of female rock bands. Sandy was only 16 in 1975 when she and Jett formed the The Runaways. After they disbanded Sandy continued to play with her former band mates and also formed her own band The Sandy West Band as well as releasing some of her own materials.

Sandy was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2005 and ultimately passed away on October 21, 2006 at a hospice in San Deimas, CA.

RIP

Labels: , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates