Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Francais ‘Rusty' Tullis, 70

I find myself bitching about the dumbest things at time. 'Oh man, I broke a finger nail' or 'Damn I forgot to get that book back to the library' even better 'I can't believe I'm out of Diet Pepsi, my life SUCKS!'. Gawd, no wonder why my liver is shot and my therapist is over paid. I always heard that God doesn't give you more then you can handle which, without going into a whole theological discussion, is true, BUT how will we ever know what the extent of our crap capacity is? I guess I liken it to the amount of weight you can carry...at first it's just a five or ten pound bag but after awhile you start building up your muscles and can handle more. Life doesn't just give you a little bag of crap there's usually about 25, 50, 100 or more pounds that are going to get dumped on you before your time is up. Some people crawl into a bottle or a corner and hope that it just goes away, some people deal others still can take it all on and then some.

I'm sure everyone in the free world by now has watched the movie 'Mask' (if you haven't then get your ass out there and rent it). It's this story about Rocky Dennis (1964-1980) who was afflicted with afflicted with craniodiaphyseal dysplasia. His mother Rusty Dennis (later Tullis) wouldn't listen to what the doctors told her about the short and painful life he would have to endure, failing eyesight, severe headaches, learning difficulties and that he might not have a full productive life. She ignored those who said that her son wouldn't be able to function in a normal school environment, he did, and ended up graduating junior high with honors. She took this whole bag of crap that the 'experts' were giving her about her son and his limitations and threw it back in their faces.
"This was not the PTA mother of the year," Phelan (the Screen Writer for Mask) said of Tullis in a 2001 interview with People. "But she was the perfect mother for Rocky. She never made him feel sorry for himself."
She wasn't the model citizen, she got in trouble with the law a few times, the latest in 2002 when she went to prison for 16 months for admitting she violated her probation on a drug charge.

On October 14th she was seriously hurt in an accident when her three wheel motorcycle hit a utility pole. She never fully recovered and passed away on November 11, 2006 from an infection.

RIP

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-tullis15nov15,1,611912.story?coll=la-news-obituaries&ctrack=1&cset=true

Labels: , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates