Sunday, August 14, 2005

Coo Coo Marlin, 73


Back in grade school one of my friends bragged that her dad was on pit crew. She was pretty excited about it, I on the other hand, had absolutely no clue what a pit crew was and why that was important. I spent the night at her house once and she asked her dad to tell some stories and show off the trophies and pictures. I was still baffled.
Many, many, many years later I marry a NASCAR fan. He knows what a pit crew is, he knows what a spotter is, he knows all this crap about racing and now I do too.
Clifton "Coo Coo" Marlin, father of Sterling Martin, raced NASCAR from 1966 to 1980. He never won a race in his 165 races but finished in the top 10 in nearly a third of the races he started.

He passed away after battling lung cancer in his home town of Columbia, Tennessee, 300 Miles from Bristol.

RIP
January 3, 1932 - August 14, 2005

Labels: , , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates