Saturday, November 17, 2007

Harold Alfond, 93


There's this website I visit weekly called TMI Tuesday. When I used to have a MySpace page I would get people clicking in specifically to check out how I answered that week. I think it's because TMI's questions are usually about sex... I don't seem to have a real good filter when it comes to that... besides chances are I'd never meet them in real life anyway.
One week there was a question about if you had a million dollars and had to give it away who would you give it to and why. I answered that I would split it up into fifths. 20% to an animal shelter, 20% to a music program like VH1's Save the Music, 20% to found a wildlife preserve, 20% split up among my friends kids for their college fund and the final 20% would be given to women that slave away on stripper poles everyday... they would have to prove their worthiness by showing me their skills though... I figure that portion of cash would be spent in about a week... I'm soooo addicted.
Well that's what I would do. Some people, like Harold Alfond, probably would have better ideas on how to give away a million dollars. More precisely, Harld Alfond, knew how to give away $100 million dollars. His foundation, the Harold Alfond Foundation provided to various colleges, sports programs and in 2007 he donated $7 million dollars towards cancer research which founded the Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care.
Mr Alfond earned his money by starting Dexter Shoes in 1956 after a previous stint owning a shoe manufacturer. He's other claim to fame in the shoe industry is creating the first outlet store.
Mr Alfond passed away in Palm Beach, Florida from prostrate cancer.
1914 - November 16, 2007
RIP
picture



Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates