Saturday, November 18, 2006

Ruth Brown, 78

I'm not as cool as I think I am. Truth be told, I'm a half hearted nerd - not the kind that ends up building an empire like Microsoft or musically inclined like Wierd Al Yankovic just socially inept. I am, in fact, one of your run of the mill zit faced, pencil chewing, glasses wearing, stringy hair, comic book reading, Star Trek watching, slightly OCD, band geek. If it wasn't for Maybelline, Lasik, hair dye and cigarettes I'd never get a date (well I've had a few in my life - not recently though). I've gotten some pretty strange looks when I open my mouth and talk about things that I'm interested in (case in point - this site). I've been looked at like I have a second head and heard the words 'freak' and 'abnormal' to describe me, whatever. I've always held the stead fast belief that one should stand out, not be classified, be abnormal. In my case that means that I'm pretty proud to be called a nerd.

I wouldn't characterize John Waters as being a nerd. I think he understands the nerd mentality, those that live life outside of the normal accepted pattern of living. I like that. One of my all time favorite movies is "Hairspray" the 1988 classic with Divine, Ricky Lake, Debbie Harry & Shawn Thompson (drool). *Sidenote... I'm not too excited about this remake that's coming out with John Travolta - but that's for another time.* One of the more colorful characters (not trying to make a pun) was Motormouth Maybelle played by one Ruth Brown. I loved her - she was loud - proud - funny - she rhymed (Oh Papa Tooney. We've got a Looney!).

Ruth Browns career took off with Atlantic Records in the 1950's with songs like "So Long" followed by "Tear Drops From Her Eyes". She retired from singing in 1961 after going to another record label and having less then steller sucess with her subsequent releases. In the mid Seventies she experienced a career comeback. She started recording again, staring on Broadway (she won a 1989 Tony for her role in Black & Blue) and then going on to Hollywood to star in television and movies. In 1993 she was inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Ms. Brown passed away in Las Vegas from complications following a heart attack and stroke she suffered after surgery in October 2006

January 30, 1928 - November 16, 2006
RIP

Labels: , , , , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates