Thursday, November 02, 2006

Jane Wyatt, 96

For years the television was my babysitter. Except at my babysitters house, there I just read books by Judy Blume & Daniel Pinkwater. I was occasionally allowed to watch TV when my babysitters daughter wasnÂ’t glued in front of it but even then I was to watch only MTV during their dinner time and let the daughter & mom know when a Journey video came on so they could swoon over Steve Perry.
Oops, I'm off the subject again...stay the course.
Anyway television jaded my perception of reality. All messed up situations could be solved within a half an hour (actually 23 minutes if you deduct commercial time) and there would either be a group hug at the end or if it was one of those 'very special’ episodes everyone would be bummed out until next week. I often worked situations in my life like this but nothing ever works out the way TV says it should.
The television series 'Father Knows Best' played into my distorted sense of reality. During the series' 6 year run Robert Young (aka Father) was able to clear up any overblown tragedy like it was nothing. Jane Wyatt played the 'Mother' and would sometimes lend a helping hand...you know when she wasn't busy cleaning or baking cookies.
Ms. Wyatt was raised in New York City and she attended some pretty prestigious private schools. Two years into her college career at Barnard College, Jane left to start her acting training; she made her Broadway debut only after six months of apprenticeship. She went on to star in her first film role in 1934. Star Trek geeks may remember her apperance in a 1967 episode where she portrayed Spocks mom - a role she reprised in the 1986 movie Star Trek: The Voyage Home. But more then anything she'll be remembered for her role as Margaret Anderson for which she won 3 consecutive Emmy's.
Ms. Wyatt passed away from natural causes in her BelAire, California home.
August 12, 1910 - October 20, 2006
RIP

Labels: , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates