Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Desert Orchid, 27

I've been trying to think back over my life and find something that I was truly spectacular at...something that would make me stand out among the rest...something that people would be in awe of now AND years from now. I couldn't come up with one damn thing, well there is that one thing but I don't want to brag. Besides I might have to charge a $29.99 monthly fee. I figure all I need is a domain, some good pics, a webmaster (heh heh) probably a couple of hundred dollar investment and then I could post my new site up on the world wide web. Within a year I could easily gross around $250 bucks, right? Right.

But seriously there isn't anything about me that would lend itself to having a fan club. You know the cool kind with membership cards, buttons and newsletters. So I'm just a bit sad when I read about a horse that has a fan club. I love horses. I miss riding. But I don't think I've ever loved a horse enough to dedicate a website for one. But Desert Orchid wasn't any old horse, he was a legend in England. He won the King George VI Chase a record four times and was adored for his racing performances and his incredible jumps. One of his more fascinating wins was in 1989...

A crowd of over 58,000 witnessed Desert Orchid's immense effort to overhaul the mud-loving Yahoo in the final stages of the race. After his one and a half length victory, Desert Orchid's rider, Simon Sherwood said: "I've never known a horse so brave. He hated every step of the way in the ground and dug as deep as he could possibly go". Three cheers were called as Desert Orchid was unsaddled, surrounded bythousands of approving fans. The nation's favourite steeplechaser had not let them down. http://www.famousracehorses.co.uk/dessie/descareer.htm

Retirement, in 1991, couldn't keep the old boy down. He was often seen at charity events and would make special appearances. On Christmas and for his Birthday he would receive cards and treats every year from his legions of adoring fans. His legend and name will live on when on December 27, 2006 the Inaugural Desert Orchid Chase will be run at Kempton Park.

April 11, 1979 - November 13, 2006.

Labels: , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates