Tuesday, September 26, 2006

This Death In History: Emily Post, 86

Last night I went out and played my final game of softball in 2006. It was fun, we lost, both games, but I made one brilliant catch that is going to live forever in my personal highlight reel…I’m soooo conceited

So last night started like this...got to the park a little early, talked to a friend for a bit, another guy on the team walked over the three of us started b.s.-ing then decided to head out to the field to toss the ball around. I had downed a couple of Red Bulls (I’m old, I have to do that now a days) and it made me, how should I say, slightly gassy? Now I’ve often held the personal belief that every person has one mutant power, it’s a comic geeks basis on their existence really. So my one mutant power is the ability to burp. Not just some tiny little bitty ‘a,b,c’ type cute burps but window shaking, car alarm starting, from far inner reaches deep down inside me full on belches. So we’re walking…and I just let one go…my friend J, who has experienced worse explosions from me, just shook his head but the other guy, D, this was something new from a person he had only met a 5 days earlier. I giggled afterwards and said “…and I wonder why I’m single”. Besides that little show of vulgarity I really wasn’t on my best behavior. I later told D “if I ever played [softball] with him again I was going to drop a Xanex in his Powerade” and the oh so eloquent “Chill the fuck out”. Now I know I’ve got my faults. I’m rather obnoxious, a wee bit abrasive, compulsive yet lazy and as I discovered last night a little immature (the Pez collection & comic books should have clued me in earlier, huh?). Basically, I am Emily Posts worst nightmare.

Emily Post once said "Etiquette is the science of living. It embraces everything. It is the code of sportsmanship and of honor. It is ethics." She started her writing career at the turn of the century, writing about such things as architecture and interior design for magazines. Her writing career further expanded when she started writing books about travel; in 1922 her book Etiquette was published. She later started speaking on radio programs and wrote a daily column about ‘good taste’ which eventually appeared in over 200 newspapers. Her advice was pretty broad but her basic belief was that "no one should do anything that can either annoy or offend the sensibilities of others”. (oops)

Ms. Post passed away after a brief illness.

October 27, 1893 – September 25, 1960
RIP

as a post script to this entry...I clean up well and I'd say about 98% am pretty demure & well behaved.

Labels: , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates