Monday, December 12, 2005

Eugene McCarthy, 89


One of my favorite shows is Sliders. It's a show about 4 normal people being sucked through a worm hole of alternate realities caused by an historical event happening or not happening. Long before this show came on I used to think about odd stuff like if JFK hadn't been assassinated - would I have been born. Pretty heavy stuff for a fifth grader but I spent a lot of time alone so I had an immense amount of time to free flow thoughts.

So what if Eugene McCarthy been nominated to the Democratic Presidential Ticket instead of Hubert Humphrey, could he have won against Nixon? Would Vietnam gone as long as it did? There might not have been a Watergate and then subsequent scandels would have to have a different ending then 'gate'. McCarthy wouldn't have left his wife, wouldn't have wrote any books. My parents might not have met, I might not have been languising away in my dull little life. You know stuff like that.

Eugene McCarthy spent a good 20 years in the Senate and made a respective five time bid for the White House under different party affiliations. Seems like a pretty interesting guy.

Mr. McCarthy passed away from complications of Parkinsons Disease.

March 29, 1916 - December 10, 2005
RIP

Labels: , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates