Sunday, September 25, 2005

Tommy Bond, 79


The only time my dad went to church was Palm Sunday. I'm not really sure why that was, my mom told me that was because they handed out free stuff, but to go just for a palm branch seems pretty odd. While I was being dragged off to church and Sunday school the other 51 weeks out of the year my dad would stay home and watch 'Abbott & Costello', 'Blondie' and 'The Little Rascals'. If my mom didn't stay after and kibitz with the other women we could rush home and catch the last 15 minutes of whatever was showing that day. I wasn't a big fan of 'The Little Rascals' but it's nice to see that at least one of the actors made it to a ripe old age. This show spawned the original 'child actors gone bad' and a slew of odd and painful lives: Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, Norman "Chubby" Chaney , Jay R. Smith (aka Freckles), and Robert Blake.

Tommy seemed to keep it all together and continued his career in Hollywood acting in 1948's version of Superman and then moving behind the camara into directing and producing for television.

Mr. Bond passed away this past Sunday from complications due to heart disease.

September 16, 1926 - September 25, 2005

Labels: , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates