Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Tobias Schneebaum, 83


Once upon a time I was proud of the fact that I walked along lonely downtown Detroit street and came back alive. I'm a suburbinite, I fear the seedy underbelly of a busy metropolis. My parents have long told stories of people that go to the big city but never come back the same. But at age 17 I was a bad ass. Oh how things change, now a days I spend my time searching the trecherous world wide web from the comfort of my hand-me-down desk. I AM FIERCE!
I don't think I could live the lifestyle of Tobias Schneebaum. In the 1950's Schneebaum lived amoung cannibals in the Amazon jungle and later wrote the book Keep the River to Your Right
which was turned into a documentary in 2000. Later in life, he wrote, that his passion for exploration derived out a need for community. He found that with the Arakmbut, a cannibal tribe, that his homosexuality was not looked down upon as it had been in the States in the early 1950's.

In addition to exploration Mr. Schneebaum was an artist, anthropologist and an AIDS activist.

Mr Schneebaum passed away from complications of Parkinson's disease.

March 22,1922 - September 20, 2005 RIP

Labels: , , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates