Monday, August 01, 2005

King Fahd, 82/84


I was pretty smart back in the day. In high school I was always on the Principles List for holding a 3.5 or higher and because of that I got to skip geography class. It wasn't until my sixth year of Community College (drugs are bad) that I learned exactly where Saudi Arabia was actually located. I had a communications teacher that worked for the US government selling Abrams or Bradley tanks to the Saudis, so she was extremely versed in the Middle East. More often then not she would tell us stories of the country and the customs; the highlight was when she brought in brochures of the tank written in Arabic. I never quite understood why she chose to teach on Saturdays if she was jet setting all around the world selling highly armed tanks. She loved talking about the Middle East as if it was her second home. Her idea of the final class project was having groups of us act like travel agents and try to sell the rest of the class to travel to our particular country. After each of the speeches were done she, of course, stood up and told us what was right or wrong - because she had been there.

King Fahd of Saudi Arabia passed away on August 1st. I've caught two different birth years 1921 and 1923 but general consensus is that he was born in 1923.

1921/23 - August 1, 2005

Labels: , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates