Wednesday, August 31, 2005

John J MacAloon, 87


In 1998, I along with a couple of thousand Detroit area residents stood along the city streets to watch the implosion of the Husons building. On one hand it was exciting to see such a mammoth building come down but on the other it was depressing that yet another Detroit landmark had been torn down in the name of urban renewal (it's actually an underground parking structure now). I had a chance to go there right before they closed the old gal with my Dad and Grandma. I got a stuffed dog named 'Cryin' Bryan' and my Grandma got a winter coat for cheap. I know I was pretty young then but the place was just HUGE! My Mom later told me that it was the place back when she was growing up. There just aren't places like that anymore, no place with real style or character. It's pretty sad really - we're just living in a cookie cutter world.

I didn't know Mr MacAloon. He believed that the Detroit building was worth saving. Unfortunatly, he was in the miniority. His career started in 1940 with the department store over the coarse of 40 years he rose through the ranks to become vice president, during which time he oversaw the opening of many Hudsons stores in the Detroit suburbs. He retired in 1980 and passed away from cancer this weekend.

RIP
1918 - August 28, 2005

Labels: , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates