Monday, August 29, 2005

Elwood Perry, 90


When I was a kid fishing was fun. My grandpa or camp counsler would thread a worm on to a hook, I would drop it in the water, then sit around and get a tan. That's what I called fishing. However there would be the rare moment when something would actually nip at my worm and catch a bit of hook and viola I had caught a fish. I'd reel it back into the boat someone would take it off the hook and drop it back into the water. Later on in life I'd go fishing with my boyfriend as an excuse to sit out on the lake and screw. I think his parents knew which made the 'Did you have any luck?' question pretty darn funny. Now fishing is just a pain in the ass. Last time I went out on a boat in the middle of god-knows-where-lake with my boyfriend & his brother. I didn't tan, in fact I got baked to a crispy red and I had to hang my butt over the back of the boat to pee - right in front of my boyfriends brother, a guy I had only met a few times.
So when my husband now says to me he's going fishing I let him have his day - I actually encourage him just so I can be by myself sometimes. But he's always talking about that he needs this for this kind of fish and that for this kind of water, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Elwood Perry is the reason that my husband speaks this weird foreign language.

In 1984, George Pazik, publisher of Fishing Facts magazine, said Mr. Perry began the "whole modern era of freshwater fishing." In 2000, In-Fisherman magazine named Mr. Perry, a member of the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, one of the nation's 25 most influential anglers. His bread & butter came from developing the Spoonplug, a different kind of lure but his style of fishing won him his respect.

July 10, 1915 - August 12, 2005

Labels: , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates