Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Abe Hirschfeld, 85


The world is full of eccentrics. My Grandma was one of those people. She would hoard away bread, cans of beans, matchbooks, and money in all sorts of odd places when they were still alive and living in Detroit (near Cadiuex Cafe). My family hardly visited her, not because we were mean or disrespectful, but because she was nuts. I have a real obsession with eye boogers that I directly attribute to her...when I would spend nights over her house she would come after me first thing in the morning with a wash cloth and get every piece of crusty snot out of the corner of my eyes - nothing else mattered - I was less then human if I had pieces of green stuff out of there....and heaven forbid if I got more during the day - that's when the kleenex, with a touch of spit, would make an appearance like it did when we were shopping at Eastland, right in front of the Hudsons entrance (you know the one next to Olga's).
Abe was an eccentric too but on a much grander scale. In 2000, at the tender age of 80, he was sent to prison for hiring someone to kill his business partner. Even prison couldn't hold him down. He gave jailhouse interviews and held had long rambling phone interviews with Howard Stern (where's Gilbert).
So long Mr. Hirschfeld, I wonder how much publicity your going to get in heaven.

1919 - August 9, 2005

Labels: , , , ,




Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates